Sunday, February 24, 2008

Movie Night

Well we decided it was time to have our first movie night with Abby and introduce her to the wonders of Disney & Pixar.

Before showing the movie Andrea and I did some internet research about the sea creature names and made a matching game for Abby.

Andrea and Abby made popcorn and I pulled out the gummy bears.

Abby loved watching Finding Nemo, as do many young children. To be on the safe side, we made sure to fast forward through the scary parts (shark attacks, etc…).

It was a great time had by all!

Do you have good ideas of how to make a movie night an educational experience as well?

1 comment:

  1. I really like the idea of matching up the fish types with the characters in the movie. Thanks for the idea! I enjoy seeing your preschool lessons, as well. I wish we were closer--I would love to participate with you!

    We, too, have kept movie night a special occasion, and we are very careful with what we choose to show Ainsley. We have watched Nemo together a couple of times (skipping the very beginning, the shark meeting, and the angler fish). Nemo works well because there really isn't a constant villain. I have tried some other (mostly Disney) movies, and there is so much meanness and so much violence (threatened and carried out), that we end up just not letting her see it. It is amazing to me that I don't remember those movies that way (The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, The Lion King, etc.) I was reading Cinderella to Ainsley a few nights ago, and she was asking me what various words meant. All of them were "mean" words, like "smug" or "silky voice". That one is going back on the shelf--I don't like using our reading time explaining things like that to her.

    For another idea for a family night, sometimes we do a puzzle together with a special snack.
    Sorry this is so long! Congratulations on your baby boy! I am so glad he is healthy.

    ReplyDelete